So, You’ve Blown Through The Expat Tax Deadline?

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien in the U.S., the rules for filing income tax and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

But if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing here, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., you are allowed an automatic two month extension to file your return and pay any amount due, and you don’t even have to ask for an extension. Do the math, Bunky, that two month extension is to June 15.uncle-sam-wants-you1_0.jpg

Also, penalties for paying any tax late are assessed from June 15  However, even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by April 15.

If you’ve blown through this quite generous two month extension and still can’t get your act together, you can request an additional extension to October 15 by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, before June 15. However, if you qualified for the two month extension, penalties for paying  late are assessed from June 15. 

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, (green card holder), and you live in a foreign country, mail your U.S. tax return to: Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Center Austin, TX. Yeah, good luck with that from here.

You must express the amounts you report on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars, no  pesos spoken by Uncle Sam. If you receive all or part of your income or pay some or all of your expenses in pesos, you must convert it into U.S. dollars. Taxpayers generally use the yearly average exchange rate to report foreign-earned income that was received regularly throughout the year. However, if you had foreign transactions on specific days, you may also use the exchange rates for those days. Exchange rates can be found at Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates.